Tom Callander has over 50 years of experience in planning and property law, commercial, estate and trust law.
In addition to his reputation as a planning and property law expert, Tom is acknowledged for his long-standing client relationships. He has demonstrated his ability to consistently deliver an extremely high level of service to public and private clients and to do so cost effectively.
Tom’s management role in the firm has been instrumental in the development of the firm’s strategic approach to our private client practice and its continuing success. He has continued as a full time Senior Consultant with Rigby Cooke since retiring as a Partner in 2004.
Tom has acted for and advised some of Australia’s leading companies, building developers, government departments and authorities and businesses. He has also maintained a very substantial private client practice and many of his clients have been clients of the firm for decades.
- Extensive private client practice over 50 years.
- Extensive experience and expertise in a wide range of property related matters including, planning and development, subdivision, easements, covenants and compulsory acquisitions/compensation claims.
- Advised and acted for McDonald’s from 1976 – 2017, including property development and site acquisitions, site leasing and planning permits, and extensive negotiations with various levels of government authorities.
- Advised and acted for leading shopping centre developments.
- Advised and acted for numerous land subdividers and builders.
- Advised and acted for the Country Fire Authority from the 1960s.
- Acted and advised numerous local authorities and groups of authorities in relation to proposed amalgamation from 1985 – 1992.
- Advised and acted for Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority and its predecessors from 1976 – 2014.
- Bachelor of Laws University of Melbourne
- Law Institute of Victoria Property and Environmental Law Section
- Law Institute of Victoria Town Planning and Local Government Committee
- Urban Development Institute of Australia (since inception)
- Victorian Planning and Environmental Law Association