Michael Gough is a Partner in our Commercial Group with extensive experience in commercial and residential property development, commercial and retail leasing and commercial property acquisition and disposal.
Michael also has a significant practice in the hotel sector, representing clients in the acquisition, disposal and development of hotels throughout Australasia. He leads the firm’s Hotels and Hospitality Group.
He advises Australian and International owners and developers on hotel agreements with branded international operators (including management agreements, technical services agreements, sales and marketing agreements and hotel leases). He also advises on hotel investment structuring (including joint ventures), regulatory issues and the financing of hotels.
Michael also has experience and expertise in, transport infrastructure projects, structuring of property transactions and advising on property related taxation issues, property financing, planning and land use advice, and regulatory consents and approvals (including FIRB approvals).
Michael has acted for a range of clients, including listed and unlisted property funds and corporations, national retailers and developers, shopping centre owners, hotel owners, hotel developers and residential apartment developers. Michael’s clients appreciate his combination of strong negotiating skills, strategic and commercially focused advice and team management skills, which allow him to deliver on their “end game” objectives.
Michael is also a member of the Australia Malaysia Business Council of Victoria.
Commercial Property Transactions
- Advising a Sydney based purchaser on the acquisition of the Punt Hill serviced apartment business.
- Advising the owner on the sale and lease of Veriu Central Hotel in the Sydney CBD.
- Acting for the purchaser of a multi-level tenanted commercial office tower in North Sydney CBD for a Sydney based investment and development company.
- Joint venture development and sale of a 60-level residential apartment building in Southbank, Melbourne.
- Sale of a substantial development site (incorporating a hotel) adjacent to a railway station in Malvern, Victoria for a Melbourne based private investor.
- Negotiating the acquisition and joint venture of a mixed use development site in Truganina, Victoria.
- Representing the land owner on a large residential subdivision in Clyde, Victoria.
- Negotiating all project documentation with the Victorian Government and other stakeholders for the development and lease of the 330 room Novotel hotel adjacent to the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre in the Melbourne CBD.
- Advising the UAE based owner on the sale of the 430 room Ibis Styles Brisbane hotel in Brisbane, Queensland.
- Negotiating all the hotel agreements for the Hyatt Place, Caribbean Gardens, Victoria.
- Advising a Sydney based client on its co-living management agreements in various Sydney locations.
- Representing a Melbourne based developer in the negotiation of hotel agreements for the development and operation of a 250 room Fairmont branded hotel in Port Douglas, Queensland.
- Negotiating hotel agreements for the owners of Courtyard by Marriott hotels in West Melbourne, Mulgrave and Truganina, Victoria.
- Advising a Singaporean client on the development of two hotels in Queenstown, New Zealand.
- Negotiating all hotel agreements for the operation of Mantra branded hotels in Brisbane and Airlie Beach in Queensland and Queenstown, New Zealand.
- Negotiating the hotel development financing for a Novotel branded hotel at South Wharf, Melbourne.
- Advising the owner on the financing of its Australian hotel portfolio.
- Advising the owner on the finance of a 483-room dual key branded hotel in the Melbourne CBD.
- Negotiating all finance documentation of the development and operation of the Oakwood hotel and apartments in South Melbourne.
- Negotiating all finance documentation for the owner on a bulky goods retail centre in Narre Warren, Victoria.