Tamara has over 12 years of tax expertise and has represented a broad range of clients including Australian and foreign based corporates, entities in the financial services, high wealth individuals, and non-profit organisations.
She advises clients on all aspects of Commonwealth and State tax, including the application of Australian taxation to non-residents. Tamara represents clients in dealings with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and State Revenue Office in respect of objections to assessments and private binding ruling applications.
Tamara’s experience has seen her work both in private practice and in Government. She previously worked for over eight years in a private firm providing tax advice.
- Representing a pro bono client in obtaining an exemption from payroll tax, which resulted in a $425,000 tax refund from the New South Wales Office of State Revenue.
- Acting for a large multinational fund in respect of its private equity investment into Australia, with specific focus on the position taken by the ATO against special purpose vehicles established by the Texas Pacific Group as part of its holding structure for its interest in Myer.
- Successfully obtaining corporate reconstruction relief in several Australian jurisdictions in respect of the corporate restructure of an international group.
- Advising a large Australian listed corporate on the application of the capital gains tax reduction under Subdivision 768-G in respect of the disposal of its Hong Kong subsidiary.
- Representing a multinational chemical corporation in a transfer pricing audit conducted by the ATO, which involved a complex review of the group’s worldwide transfer pricing methodology and documentation.
- Acting for a large Australian mining company before the Western Australia State Administrative Tribunal in respect of an objection against a duties assessment involving mining tenements.
- Successfully representing the liquidator of a property development company in relation to a GST audit, including drafting the objection, negotiation with the ATO, and settlement at a subsequent facilitation.
- Successful conduct of a capital gains tax audit regarding the application of CGT Event K6 including drafting the objection, ongoing negotiations with the ATO, briefing counsel and settlement of Federal Court proceedings.
- Working with high net worth clients in advising on tax issues regarding family trust arrangements, including advising on the risk of trust resettlements.
- Objecting against several superannuation guarantee charge assessments imposed on a small business, resulting in a full remission of the penalties imposed.