Reto Hofmann is a Special Counsel in our Planning & Environment team, with 14 years of expertise in the planning law jurisdiction.
He represents property developers throughout the planning phase of development; providing pre-development strategic advice and negotiations, and representing clients at mediations and hearings in various tribunals and courts.
Reto regularly acts as an advocate for clients in the Planning and Environment jurisdiction of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) and appears at Planning Panels Victoria.
When not appearing himself, Reto regularly instructs the top barristers in the planning jurisdiction to appear for clients.
Prior to law, Reto completed bachelors degrees in construction management and business with a focus on property and development. His clients benefit from his broad knowledge and advice that considers the complete lifecycle of a development.
- Acting for the Roman Catholic Trust Corporation in an application for review in VCAT to successfully obtain a planning permit for the development of land for independent living units within a complex heritage context, including a heritage church and residence.
- Acting for JD Group in multiple developments including 255 luxury apartments and retail space in Hawthorn, a 106 apartment development in Doncaster East and over 200 luxury apartments in a 16-storey tower on Queens Road, Melbourne in VCAT and the Supreme Court.
- Acting for a developer to secure a planning permit for a 16-storey apartment tower development in Melbourne’s arts precinct.
- Instructing Queens Counsel in VCAT proceedings to obtain a planning permit for the construction of a 22-storey tower in Melbourne’s medical precinct.
- Acting for a developer in negotiations with Council and objectors to secure a planning permit for a luxury apartment development in Toorak.
- Acting for a developer in VCAT proceedings to obtain a planning permit for a luxury river front apartment development in South Yarra.
- Providing planning and strategic advice in relation to the development of the Caulfield Mixed Use Precinct, incorporating over 1500 dwellings, a full line supermarket and retail shops.
- Acting for a developer in an application for review to obtain a planning permit for the use and development of land for a mixed use development including specialty shops, a full line supermarket and 155 dwellings across four buildings in Balwyn.
- Advising retirement village clients.
- Numerous hearings in the VCAT, Planning Panels Victoria and Supreme Court for a large variety of development proposals and clients.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) Monash University
- Bachelor of Business (Property) RMIT University
- Bachelor of Science (Construction Economics) RMIT University
- Co-chair of the Planning and Local Government Practice Committee, Law Institute of Victoria
- Member, Victorian Planning and Environmental Law Association
Reto works with
Planning & Environment