Greg Bush is the leader of our Construction & Projects group, practising exclusively in contentious and non-contentious matters for the construction and engineering industries.
With over 20 years of experience, Greg specialises in providing advice on project delivery strategies, negotiating and drafting of contracts, the administration and management of contracts to maximise clients’ outcomes and avoid disputes, security of payment remedies, and litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution.
Greg acts for principals/developers, contractors, consultants and superintendents. His clients include government departments, ASX 100 corporations, privately owned companies and private clients.
Advising property trusts, corporations and private clients on the development and construction of hotels, multi-residential and mixed use projects from $6M to $160M. Highlights include:
- Drafting and negotiating a range of Early Contractor Involvement documents, construct only contracts, design and construct contracts, and ancillary documents for the delivery of numerous hotel developments including the Hilton DoubleTree hotel and commercial space in Box Hill, the Courtyard by Marriott hotel in West Melbourne, a mixed hotel and residential tower at Docklands, an Ibis Styles branded hotel in Brisbane, a Novotel/Ibis branded hotel in the Melbourne CBD and a 150 room hotel in Southbank Melbourne.
- Preparing and negotiating a complex development agreement and security documents for the ‘turn key’ delivery of Mojo Nomad by Ovolo hotel in South Yarra.
- Mixed use development of the iconic Dimmeys building with onerous planning and heritage conditions and complex staging requirements.
- The staged development of a residential village in the historic Hoffman Brickworks with significant latent condition risk and heritage issues.
- Advising and preparing contracts for listed REITs in relation to facilities management and upgrades in CBD commercial buildings.
- Security of Payment strategies including bringing applications, responses, appeals against adjudication determinations, and enforcement of rights under the SOPA regime in courts.
- Acting for Boral in its largest capital works projects, including a $250M world’s best practice greenfields quarry and process plant, with complex
interface issues in the procurement approach.
- Acting for the Department of Justice in the delivery of the State Coronial Services Centre, comprising contracts for various packages novated to the head contractor, and the substantive works being delivered in an operational facility.
- Advising parties in Supreme Court litigation over $60M claims in a gasline EPC project.
- Advising a tier 1 builder in disputes over a $300M upgrade to an airport which achieved a renegotiation of the contract.
- Advising the contractor for a $250M+ water infrastructure works on contractual claims against a water authority for prolongation, ground conditions and variations.
- Acting for a not-for-profit organisation in the $22M staged redevelopment of an aged care facility which provided for the decanting of residents and ensuring the ongoing operations of the centre.