We can help with:
At Rigby Cooke, we ask what outcome the client is seeking, then assess and advise on the feasibility of that outcome. We’ll discuss the options that support business goals and then work towards achieving an outcome as close as possible to your desired outcome.
We can do this successfully because we use an integrated approach to all the relevant workplace functions and areas. We understand end-to-end the processes that impact on your workplace relations, and we have an excellent breadth of expertise in these matters.
We also understand what it means to be dealing with these often emotive and sensitive issues – our team has real-world experience that we bring to bear in our dealings with you. We’ll get to know you and your business, and help you make the right decisions.
Clients know they can trust us to give the right advice and be responsive across all aspects of their workplace relations needs in a cost-effective manner.
Many facets of business operations are subject to employment laws and businesses need to be sure they are getting the details right to avoid negative impact on their operations.
Rigby Cooke’s Workplace Relations team has spent many years assisting employers to deal with the wide variety of employment-related issues that can arise.
We will also work with you to determine the most appropriate and cost-efficient methods of communication with you, whether it be by phone, meeting, or email, allowing you to quickly and effectively resolve your workplace issues.
We can help you with:
- drafting, negotiating, interpreting and advising on individual employment contracts, contractor/consultancy agreements, and enterprise agreements
- drafting, interpreting and advising on company policies and procedures
- terms and conditions, remuneration and benefits issues
- auditing employee/industrial relations practices and procedures aimed at assisting employers to implement appropriate systems for effective workplace outcomes
- terminations, grievance issues and disciplinary processes
- planning, designing, providing HR advice and assisting with work arrangements, organisational change and restructures
- company restructures, mergers/acquisitions and transmission of business issues
- interpreting employment legislation such as the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth)
- conducting litigation such as unfair dismissal, general protections and breach of contract claims
- legal due diligence in sales/acquisitions and drafting relevant terms and conditions in business sale agreements
The industrial relations landscape is a complex one. When an organisation wants to make major changes, or is subject to an industrial dispute, it is important to have responsive, experienced legal advisers who will be able to advise you through the whole process.
Rigby Cooke’s legal team takes the time to understand your business and develop a deep understanding of your unique situation so that we can provide clear, practical and timely advice on options and risks, and clear recommendations.
We can help you with:
- implementing effective industrial relations strategies for achieving major workplace change, including those arising from restructures, mergers/acquisitions and outsourcing
- advice when industrial action is threatened or occurring
- negotiating with unions regarding industrial disputes, enterprise agreements and restructures/redundancies/terminations
- advising and appearing before industrial tribunals and courts
Enterprise bargaining can be an integral part of running a business in many industries, but it can be daunting for employers to enter into negotiations on behalf of their organisation.
Rigby Cooke can assist you with your enterprise bargaining negotiations, ensuring you achieve your productivity and improvement goals while also meeting your obligations to your employees.
We will work side-by-side with your team to ensure we have a full understanding of your business, your strategy and your unique issues. Our team has experience across all workplace matters and has held roles in unions, human resources teams and employer associations, we can provide perspectives across all facets of the negotiation.
We also pride ourselves on our responsive service, because we know that you cannot afford to wait days for advice when you are in the middle of an enterprise bargaining process.
We can help you with:
- developing enterprise bargaining strategies for employers when negotiating enterprise agreements with employees and/or unions
- interpreting awards and enterprise agreements
- training for your team on the legal and practical elements of enterprise bargaining
Discrimination, harassment and bullying
Discrimination, harassment and bullying issues have the potential to be very disruptive to a workplace, and must be handled sensitively but effectively.
Rigby Cooke can provide expert advice on these issues when they arise. We can also conduct independent investigations, and act in proceedings in relation to these matters.
Our significant industry knowledge and experience means we can also provide you with strategic advice to help you avoid legal problems before they arise.
We can help you with:
- providing workplace training on unlawful discrimination, harassment and bullying
- developing and implementing equal opportunity policies and procedures
- undertaking and/or advising on workplace investigations, grievance handling and dispute resolution
- providing strategic advice to assist in minimising legal risks and exposures, increasing productivity, and reducing staff turnover
- advising and appearing before commissions, tribunals and courts
Workplace health and safety
The safety of your workers is more than just a compliance requirement, it is an investment in the productivity of your business. A safe workplace means lower costs in terms of compliance costs, absenteeism, and back-to-work processes. It also protects your brand image and business reputation.
Rigby Cooke can advise you on workplace health and safety (WH&S), also known as occupational health and safety (OH&S), and can conduct audits to ensure you comply with all statutory obligations.
We can also provide in-house training for your staff on workplace health and safety matters.
We can help you with:
- advising on WH&S compliance and risk management, and undertaking WH&S audits
- delivering workplace training programs on WH&S
- advising and appearing in WH&S prosecutions
- advising on statutory obligations under Commonwealth and state WH&S legislation and assisting to manage statutory investigations
- developing and implementing WH&S policies and procedures
If you are an overseas business that wishes to expand into Australia, or you wish to establish a new business in Australia, there are a number of options available to you in terms of business or investment migration visas.
However, applying for these visas is a complex process, with a range of requirements depending on the type of visa and your levels of investment. Getting it right is critical.
Rigby Cooke offers a unique blend of skills, combining migration law experience with employment, property and tax law know-how, to help you determine which visa is most appropriate for your requirements.
We can then assist with your application, including liaising with the relevant agencies. If a migration matter has an unexpected outcome, we can act for you on all issues including appeals and reviews, audits, health or character issues, and deportation.
We can help you with:
- identifying the most appropriate business or investor visa for high net worth individuals, including the Significant Investor Visa
- transferring key staff to establish or maintain a business in Australia, including:
- temporary subclass 457 working visa, or
- permanent subclass 186 working visa
- obtaining approval as a Standard Business Sponsor to hire overseas workers on subclass 457 visas for Australian businesses facing critical skills shortages
- sending Australian workers overseas to work, applying for the correct visa, and addressing existing employment arrangements in Australia
- incorporation of Australian companies, advice on resident director requirements
- advise on purchase and lease of commercial property, Foreign Investment Review Board requirements
- international tax considerations, including double taxation treaty advice
- employment contracts, secondment arrangements, employment disputes
Training and workshops
Rigby Cooke’s Workplace Relations team can help empower your internal teams by providing in-house training and workshops on a range of workplace relations topics, including workplace health and safety, industrial relations, enterprise bargaining, and discrimination, harassment and bullying.
Our team’s experience in large law firms, human resources practices, corporate in-house legal teams, employer associations and unions enables us to provide you with a comprehensive and practical approach to workplace relations issues.
All of our training covers both legal and practical components of the topics, so that your people are ready to apply what they learn.
Rigby Cooke always provide me with logical, sensible, cost-effective and prudent advice. Not once in nearly 7 years have they let me down! Their IR team is second to none!
Greg Carson, human resources manager of Vawdrey Pty Ltd
David McLaughlin and the team at Rigby Cooke have consistently provided excellent service and support to our business. David and his team have had a longstanding, trusted relationship with us and I would have no hesitation in recommending them.
Suzanne Shepherd, group executive human resources of McMillan Shakespeare Group
The experience working with Rigby Cooke has been the easiest and most thorough out of any other employment law firm we’ve dealt with.
I honestly could not have asked for a better team to liaise with on our Employment Handbook. What took almost 2 years with other companies, took merely months with your team.
Nishaan Sekhon, global IT security company
Rigby Cooke Lawyers provided an exceptional service during a difficult time. Simone Caylock is extremely knowledgeable about all things Employment Law including Fair Work Commission mediation processes.
More than that however Simone brought a level of humanity, kindness and compassion, making me feel at all times that I was her most important client. I would thoroughly recommend Rigby Cooke Lawyers for anyone requiring expertise in the area of Employment Law.
Very happy overall with the service by Rigby Cooke. Advice was very effective.
Adrian Morgan, chief executive officer of Gippsland & East Gippsland Aboriginal Co-operitve
We highly recommend Rigby Cooke Lawyers, they have exceeded our expectations with their honesty, integrity, transparency and professionalism. They were invaluable in helping us through some very difficult times over the past year. They took the time to listen and were very knowledgeable with all matters pertaining to our business. Their legal team have delivered and still are delivering outstanding results for us.
Christina Puopolo, director of GP Industries Pty Ltd
From Litigation through to Workplace Relations, Rigby Cooke is the ‘smart’ choice for companies requiring cost effective top tier legal representation. Their consistent ‘can do’ culture and the urgency with which all matters are addressed gives us the confidence to turn to this firm for sound legal advice in all matters be they local or international.
Stephen Jeffery, chief executive officer of Advanced Hair Studio Pty Ltd