Rigby Cooke’s tax professionals have extensive experience in complex tax issues, with a thorough understanding of the operations of the Australian Taxation Office and the State Revenue Office.
Our experts stay at the forefront of new tax issues and can also assist with taxation issues that cross political and geographical boundaries.
The sheer volume of tax legislation, cases and rulings dwarfs every area of Australian law, so it is no surprise that even the most astute and experienced business people can find this area complex and confounding.
To ensure tax compliance and a good tax outcome, there is no substitute for early advice. Correct structuring of businesses, investments, personal assets and key transactions can ensure the right approach is adopted for longer term plans, building of wealth and reporting to the tax authorities.
We can help with:
- simple and complex tax matters, including mergers and acquisitions, tax consolidation, international tax, restructures, scrip for scrip mergers, demergers and public offerings
- advice and service for businesses based in Australia, property owners and developers as well as individual executives, retirees and private investors with significant assets
- advice for Australian businesses or investors expanding offshore or for foreign businesses or investors expanding into Australia
- business succession strategies and structures for commercial enterprises to ensure clarity and minimise disputes
- strategic advice on tax audits and tax disputes, including representation at tribunals and courts
- assistance with management of employment related tax obligations, including superannuation, payroll tax, termination payments and employee share and option plans
The best way to effectively manage tax issues is to ensure, through sound planning, that issues are considered in advance.
Tax should be a key part of all decision-making on structures, investments, financing, asset protection and commercial transactions. However, to do this well, you need advice from experts who are up-to-date on current domestic and international tax laws.
Rigby Cooke’s Tax team is one of the most respected specialist tax teams in Australia. We will work closely with you to understand your goals, then advise you on the most tax-effective actions and structures.
Our clients include privately owned and listed companies, property developers, private clients and Not-for-Profits.
We can help with:
- advice in relation to all tax arrangements including tax planning and structuring for public and private companies and trusts, tax consolidation and other complex corporate tax issues
- tax planning and structuring for property and development ventures
- tax effective structuring for generational change and succession planning
- estate planning advice and tax structuring
- advice and assistance in relation to all GST issues including planning issues
- advice and assistance on all stamp-duty issues including planning
- advice in relation to all FBT issues and tax issues employee remuneration
- advice on other indirect taxes including land tax and Growth Area Infrastructure Change (GAIC)
- international tax structuring and planning
- withholding tax advice
- double tax treaty issues including foreign tax offsets
- transfer pricing issues including planning, documentation and negotiations with revenue authorities
Tax is a complex area of the law, with various taxes and imposts at both the federal and state level, and associated compliance obligations. It is not surprising that tax disputes can arise, including disputes with the Australian Taxation Office or state revenue offices.
When you are faced with a dispute, you want to resolve it quickly and effectively, so your best interests are preserved.
Rigby Cooke’s highly regarded tax team can provide you with defensive support, investigation and tax audit management. We can also provide dispute resolution services so you can be confident about your tax position and quickly negotiate any audits and disputes with the tax authorities should they arise.
We work closely with you and ensure you receive tax solutions that will help you manage and resolve investigations, negotiations and litigation.
We have extensive experience guiding taxpayers and advisers through the complexities of tax audits, access and information exchange compliance, discretion and remission applications, compromise negotiations and settlements, objections and tribunals and court appeals, prosecutions and debt enforcements.
We can help you with:
- conducting prudential reviews and health checks to identify any issues / exposures / opportunities that should be addressed
- preparing position papers to support your position and minimise your exposure to penalties should the relevant tax authority disagree with your position
- lodging ruling requests with the tax authorities to provide you with comfort as to your tax position
- undertaking corrective action, including lodging voluntary disclosures (if appropriate), should a compliance oversight be discovered
- devising an appropriate tax audit strategy, both in terms of managing the process and the technical positions to be taken
- responding to information requests thoroughly and promptly, while containing responses to relevant matters and preventing ‘fishing expeditions’ by the tax authorities
- undertaking corrective action where required, including lodging voluntary disclosures where appropriate to secure penalty and interest concessions
- preparing objections to assessments
- preparing submissions on technical issues
- preparing penalty and interest remission requests
- pursuing informal (ie internal) review by the tax authority
- pursuing litigation in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal or the Courts
- utilising early resolution methods, including negotiation and mediation
- negotiating settlements and payment arrangements
Discretionary trusts (or family trusts) and unit trusts can attract financial benefits such as asset protection and favourable tax treatment. Many people choose to operate businesses or investments using one of these structures. However, there are many regulatory requirements that are specific to trusts, over and above the financial requirements.
Rigby Cooke can help you establish and optimally structure your trust and ensure the trust complies with all regulatory requirements and protects your assets.
We can also review existing Trust documents and assist with remediation where the trust is not providing what you need for your business or investment objectives. We can provide you with a wide range of trust documentation, either from standard versions or, in more complex situations drafted to order.
Our commitment to supporting you in achieving your objectives means we take the time to understand your situation; our advice is based on what you need and our years of experience in this field.
We can also draw on in-house expertise to advise when trusts include international elements or where there is a dispute.
We can help you with:
- trust formation and advice
- trustees’ powers
- breaches of trustees’ duties
- beneficiaries’ rights and entitlements
- appointment and removal of trustees