Keith is the leader of our Tax & Wealth group with over 17 years of tax expertise.
Keith’s practice encompasses all aspects of Commonwealth and State tax. He advises individuals, trusts and companies on a wide range of issues, as well as representing clients in dealing with the Australian Taxation Office and State Revenue Office, preparing private binding ruling applications and objections to amended assessments.
In addition, Keith advises international clients on Australian taxation issues requiring consideration of non-resident tax matters as well as the application of double tax agreements.
He has also represented individuals facing criminal charges for non-compliance with income tax and GST obligations.
Keith began his professional career in the Tax Services Division of Deloitte in 2001. During this period, he also completed the CPA program, Masters of Law (Taxation Law), Doctor of Juridical Science, Master of Laws (Taxation and Law & Economics), Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice and a Bachelor of Arts (Politics) with First Class Honours, before becoming a prolific Senior Lecturer in the School of Law at La Trobe University.
Keith was called to the Victorian Bar in 2011, where for almost six years, he was a highly-respected barrister. He is a member of various tax industry leadership think-tanks, including the CPA’s primary tax policy body, the Tax Centre of Excellence, and a regular guest lecturer at professional events and conventions.
- Advising on the capital gains tax implications of multi-generational real property inheritances, including the availability and application of the small business CGT concessions.
- Advising on the landholder duty implications of a corporate restructure involving foreign corporate landholders under Victorian law.
- Representing a software company in the Full Federal Court on the interpretation and application of the royalties clause in the Australia-Canada double tax agreement.
- Advising a software distribution company on contractual terms to ensure appropriate tax treatment of payments made under the royalties clause in the Australia-Singapore double tax agreement.
- Advising on the ability of a public charitable institution to be able to receive a large bequest subject to conditions under relevant Queensland legislation, the availability of income tax, goods and services tax and fringe benefits tax concessions for the proposed structure required to receive the gift and the relevant tax implications arising from accepting the gift under the proposed structure.
- Advising on and preparing an objection regarding the residency status of an individual taxpayer with significant business interests in southeast Asia and the Pacific.
- Advising on the application of goods and services tax to a significant US-based broker of Bitcoin seeking to enter the Australian market.
- Successfully objected to assessment denying input tax credits on the acquisition of commercial property.
- Successfully objected to the application of duty to a corrective transfer of real property between family members on the basis of identifying the “real purchaser”.
- Advising on the availability of an exemption from duty under Victorian legislation for the transfer of units in a unit trust to a complying superannuation fund.
- Bar Readers’ Course Victorian Bar
- Doctor of Juridical Science La Trobe University
- Master of Laws (Taxation and Law & Economics) University of Chicago
- Master of Laws (Taxation) University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Laws Monash University
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) (Accounting & Finance) Monash University
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Monash University
- Chartered Tax Advisor, The Tax Institute
- Law Institute of Victoria
- CPA Australia
- Australasian Tax Teachers Association