James is an experienced building and construction lawyer who combines legal expertise with over a decade of business experience. This combined practice provides James with an edge in the resolution of building and commercial disputes to achieve effective outcomes with an eye on the bottom-line.
He acts for clients in a range of matters including commercial and domestic building disputes, litigation, mediation and negotiation, Security of Payments Act adjudication, building prosecution defence, commercial disputes and tribunal and court appearances. He also advises clients in relation to the review and drafting of contracts and ongoing management of the legal aspects of the construction process.
James is an experienced advocate and appears in various jurisdictions, including the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, County Court, Magistrates’ Court, Federal Court and Building Appeals Board and regularly acts for clients in mediation.
- Proven track-record of achieving successful outcomes for clients in complex disputes, including commercially successful judgments and settlements for developers, builders, principals and owners
- Providing ongoing strategic advice for clients including risk mitigation, compliance, negotiation, front-end advice and ongoing support for builders and developers to avoid dispute
- Achieving numerous successful adjudication determinations pursuant to the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002 (Vic)
- Acting for publicly listed builders, providing ongoing advice and representation in both commercial and domestic litigation and dispute resolution
- Successfully defending building practitioners in prosecutions brought by the Victorian Building Authority
- Acting for tier 1 builders in construction disputes subject to Alpine law
- Successful appeals and enforcement of rights under the Building Act 1993 (Vic) at the Building Appeals Board