Emma has over nine years of legal experience specialising in corporate and commercial advice, transactional work, commercial contracts, privacy and data protection and intellectual property.
She practices in the hotel and hospitality industries, with experience advising clients in relation to hotel financing, acquisitions, management agreements, branding, gaming operations and regulatory compliance.
She has extensive in-house experience gained while on secondment and spanning over one and half years of her career.
Emma’s clients value her practical understanding of the commercial realities and pressures they face and her pragmatic and cost effective approach to achieving her client’s outcomes.
- Documenting various commercial arrangements including shareholders’ agreements, sale and purchase of business agreements and contracts for the supply of goods and services.
- Advising clients across a range of industries in relation to the Personal Properties Securities Act 2009, including drafting and negotiating security agreements and providing advice in relation to perfection and enforcement of security interests
- Advising on Australian consumer law, including reviewing advertising and marketing materials, advising in relation to consumer guarantees and product warranties and advising in relation to product recalls
- Information technology contracts and advice including hardware and software development, maintenance and licensing agreements
- e-Commerce including content licensing, website development, website hosting, linking, co-branding, and advertising agreements
Hotels and Gaming
- Acting for vendors and purchasers in connection with the acquisition and disposal of hotel assets
- Advising hotel owning client in respect of refinancing for a portfolio of Australian hotels, including primary and mezzanine funding for a total value of $180m
- Acting for the borrower and negotiating all financial document with a major bank for funding of $70m for the development of a new Melbourne hotel
- Advising in connection with hotel management and operating agreements
- Advice in connection with branding strategy for a new privately owned Melbourne Hotel
- Providing ongoing commercial, intellectual property and regulatory to a major gaming supplier in Victoria including drafting and negotiating a range of documentation and advising on compliance with the Gambling Regulation Act 2003
IP and Privacy
- Advising clients across a range of industries including health, e-commerce, retail and education in relation to their privacy obligations, including in relation to marketing activities, overseas disclosure of personal information, outsourcing activities and responding to complaints
- Developing practical privacy compliance solutions, preparing and advising in relation to policies and internal procedures and staff training in relation to privacy
- Advising in relation to a variety of privacy issues, including in relation to marketing activities, overseas disclosure of personal information, outsourcing activities and responding to complaints
- Advising clients in response to suspected and actual data breaches, including leading investigations and advising in relation to notification requirements
- Management of a significant Australian and international trade mark portfolio including prosecuting trade mark applications and acting in trade mark opposition matters
- Two extended secondments to the Australian business of a multinational HVAC manufacturer and distributor, acting as the business’ sole legal counsel including advising, reviewing and negotiating supply and service contracts, providing general legal advice and support to the company’s Australian operations and managing the implementation of key internal policies across the national business